Monday, March 1, 2010

why are we doing this?

We found out a few weeks ago. The neurologist said, "your daughter has the highest intolerance to gluten that I have ever seen." huh? I was dumbfounded. Reese had seen the neurologist because of her tip-toe walking. He checked her over and cleared her, but not before running lots of blood work. Everything came back normal except her gluten results. I had she and Noah tested the same day and thought there must be a mistake. I had them run the test again because I was convinced that it had to be Noah's results. I have always felt that Noah could possibly benefit from the Gluten free/Casein free diet, but was overwhelmed by even the thought of it (picky, picky eater). I was wrong. His results were normal and hers were off the charts abnormal. I wasn't sure what any of this meant. I first thought, ok, Celiacs. Nope. It's like Celiacs in that her body doesn't tolerate the gluten, but it manifests differently. She doesn't get an upset belly. Actually, the resistance that's happening she most likely doesn't even feel. But it can cause behaviors such as tip-toe walking, etc. We may or may not see a difference in her. We are going to give it a six week try (God willing) and then meet with the doctor again. Because this is so tricky and because I have always wanted to see Noah off Gluten, I have decided to put both kids on this diet. I am scared and overwhelmed. But I have to do this. I could spend my time thinking about WHY (I actually have for a bit)-- why another thing when my plate is so full? But things could be worse and I know that. It only takes a walk through the cancer ward at Children's hospital too feel fortunate. I am blessed.

So, what is gluten? Is it wheat? What foods do I find gluten?

"A yellowish-gray, powdery mixture of plant proteins occurring in cereal grains such as wheat, rye, barley, and corn. The gluten in flour makes it ideal for baking, because the chain-like protein molecules of the gluten trap carbon dioxide and expand with it as it is heated. Gluten is also used as an adhesive and in making seasonings, especially monosodium glutamate (MSG)."

Basically, Gluten is found in every bread, cracker, cookie, baked good, packaged food, chicken nugget, most cold cuts...almost everything. If it doesn't say "gluten free" it most likely has gluten.

I started introducing the kids to gluten-free foods a couple of weeks ago and today was the first completely gluten-free day. I read the books and the blogs, went to whole foods, talked to the kids. I couldn't be more prepared, right? Wrong. It was tough. I heard lots of "NOs" and lots of tears. Noah handled it like a champ. Reese had a very, very tough time. And by the time dinner was over I was crying and cleaning (stress=uber clean house). I am not sure how I'm going to get through the next few weeks, but I will. I always do.

So our journey begins...

2 comments:

  1. I know how hard this must be for you and Joe and the kids. You will never know if it helps unless you try it, so hang in there. Hopefully it will get easier. I wish I was closer so I could help. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nic! Good luck with this and keep us posted! Youre a ROCK! Keep it up! :) So proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete